[Tagging] Off Topic: alignment point help

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:07:18 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 6:14 PM, johnw wrote:

>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 4:49 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
>> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> offsets are an approximation to reduce the inherent problems of some
>> aerial layers, they won't solve problems like distortions. JOSM isn't
>> more precise to find a "proper offset" than any other tool, I suggest
>> you simply move the layer till it visually seems ok. Unless you do
>> high precision measurements in the field you won't know for sure what
>> is "right" and what is "wrong", or in other words: more or less
>> accurate. IMHO, relative precision (eg alignment, angles, straight vs
>> curves etc) is more important than positional precision.
>

> I know the precision isn’t so important, but I want everything to be
> the same relative location. The relative position is very important to
> me. I know distortion can skew that, for hills and the like.
>
> I was also under the impression there was a plugin for JSOM that
> offered automatic imagery offset correction, something which I don’t
> have access to in iD

I think that JOSM offset is simply from someone sending in their offset.
I don't trust it.

If you want to pick an OSM node/way to align to, I'd chose one that is
close to the imagery alignment and has a  tag with source:location=
gps/survey .. and preferably one that has not been moved since that tag
was added.