[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Reception Desk.

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Jun 21 15:33:16 UTC 2015

On 21/06/15 15:44, Kotya Karapetyan wrote:
> It's really a pity if the proposal will be rejected. Its need is
> clear, even though the exact wording may not be perfect. But do we
> need to have a /perfect/ proposal before we can get anything? I would
> suggest to those who oppose it to accept it and then propose a
> modification. Otherwise we'll stay where we are forever. No proposal
> can be perfect.
Your comments implies that you think voting is an important process to
'allow' a tag to be used. Voting is a pointless, broken process that
means absolutely nothing. We are free to use any tag we like, so voting
cannot veto anyone's use of a tag. Voting means nothing because there
are no approved or official tags in OSM, so a tag cannot be rejected by
voting either.

Discuss tags to get a sensible scheme and document the outcome of the
discussion, but also use a proposed tagging scheme to ensure it makes
sense in the real world.

Voting certainly does not mean that a tag will be adopted by anyone, it
does not mean that editors will support it and it doesn't mean that the
tag will get rendered on anyone's map.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly