[Tagging] Concrete kerbs in highway

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Jun 23 01:47:49 UTC 2015

Many tollways in rural Japan are 1/2 of the planned tollway road - they run the traffic on the completed side in both directions, one lane for each direction. The seperation is jsut a tiny little concrete kerb nailed into the road. almost any car could jump it really easily, as it is 20cm high.

They are still considered separate roads.

If they feel it is important enough to separate road traffic in a public road, then create two one-way roads. if there is special crossing for emergency vehicles (sloped kerb in a special spot), then you can put a service road connecting the two one way roads and mark it access=emergency.

almost any truck or SUV can already drive over a kerb and some medians without damage if done with care, so it is the intent of the kerb that is mapped - splitting the road - IMHO.

Javbw