[Tagging] tagging large intersections cross-road sections

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Jun 23 12:16:22 UTC 2015

OSM is heavily invested in the “lanes” concept for an individual way, so tracing the individual lanes of a road with multiple way lines breaks OSM’s routing (as I understand it) There are plugins for JSOM to let you view the lanes you make. I personally have no idea how to use them or how to map the ways going through an intersection, but I assume there is a way without tracing it lane by lane. it is a weird mix of visual, spatial representation and logical, tag based representation.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lanes

Ramps, and other linking roads that are actually separated - turn only lanes separated by islands, motorway exits and entrance ramps (slip roads?) , and other little roads that connect trunk, primary, secondary, and tertiary roads to other roads are tagged as “xxxx_link” - so it is already possible to map the slip roads for almost any kind of road using the existing highway=xxxx_link

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_link

javbw