[Tagging] tagging large intersections cross-road sections

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:14:40 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 25.06.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>:
>

> From a legal perspective they are not something different ;) Motorway
> might be something special - But tertiary_link, primary_link,
> secondary_link are not special.
>
> In the dark ages of OSM somebody overloaded the highway type with
> attribution.

you seem to point on links while accepting that primary, secondary and tertiary are genuine "highway classes", but they are typically also the same from a legal perspective.

By now we have all become used to it, so it doesn't really matter. A cycle street is an attribute, a living street or a pedestrian road is a proper class? motorroad is an attribute, path, footway, cycleway and bridleway are different classes (with overlaps)...

You can't tell from keys alone what is a "class". highway=traffic_signals is not a road class for instance, while the same highway=service tag can describe different "road classes". In real life there is no such thing as a road class, there are different parallel kind of road classes (legally) that depend on the context (design/planning/approving/maintenance) and very likely also on the jurisdiction.

Cheers
Martin