[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:26:22 UTC 2015

On 2/03/2015 2:14 AM, fly wrote:
> Am 28.02.2015 um 10:39 schrieb Tobias Knerr:
>> On 28.02.2015 05:44, Warin wrote:
>>> Within OSM .. I've checked
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:incline - that sets a 'standard'
>>> for the incline direction.
>>>
>>> I'm tempted to simply add the information to the wiki for steps. The
>>> past discussion on this topic  is from years ago. I'll think about it.
>> I agree that we should emphasize the incline option in the "How to map"
>> section, and remove the alternative suggestion of using the direction
>> key. After all, the incline=up/down solution has long since been
>> approved (6 years ago!) and is now 20 times as common as the direction key.
> +1
>
> fly

I have edited the wiki to better reflect the situation. I have also
changed the order ... Educational Psychology 101 says you tell the
student what is correct first as they are more likely to remember the
first thing you tell them, then present any argument or past practices
that are depreciated. I have also simplified the words used.... the
smaller and easier words you can use the easier it is to understand and
gain retention in the student.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsteps#How_to_map