[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Mar 2 18:35:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

the wiki page about amenity=toilet clearly states - in English and
German version, that it is used to identify a toilet *open to the public*.

As far as I can see, this seems to be the case since at least 2010
(although I didn't check any single one for intermediate differences).

The French seems to agree on that on the current version, the other
available languages I can't check with my limited language skills.

The wording might be difficult here, but home toilets were never
included by the tag according to the wiki.

In fact a private toilet IMHO doesn't qualify as an "amenity" (yes, I
know, the wording of amenity itself is questionable nowadays).
I therefore would prefer to use a distinct tag for private toilets,
preferably attachable optionally to buildings.
With that I would (in contradiction of your proposal) retag toilets with
operator:type=private to the new private-toilet tag.

regards
Peter