[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Mar 3 21:46:39 UTC 2015

> On Mar 4, 2015, at 1:03 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Now I'm wondering if there is tags for "boys" & "girls" as well. Off to the wiki...
>
> yes, there are already tags for this:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:female
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:male
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:unisex

I just see male and female - no girls and boys. In some places, public adult access to the kid toilets is not allowed, either by custom or school rule.

In taginfo, yes and no are the only real values.

Adding "kids" or "youths" values to the three tags, or girls/boys/youths separately to the 3 tags would also work.

There is no good reason yet to map these differences, but if indoor mapping becomes popular, a distinction will have to be created.

PS - we need a rendering for a handicapped toilet icon. In large buildings in Japan, there are usually  "standard" mens and womens Restrooms, and usually in between or nearby is a very easily accessed room (with a sliding door) that is a unisex elderly/handicapped/special needs restroom.  This seems to be a codified law here now. In some places  (like a public garden) with small bathroom buildings, this is a separate designated facility, but there is no differentiated icon rendering for the handicapped(?)=designated tag

Handicapped parking icon rendering would be nice too (below z17 or something)

Is that for discussion on -carto?

Javbw