[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:33:36 UTC 2015

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>>     There also seems to be a contradiction in that the "standard"
>>     steps ways extend beyond the area and up to the center of the
>>     road. I'd suggest to split them and have them end at the first
>>     riser (= the way with the role lower) and tag the remaining
>>     connection as highway=footway and likely with a different surface
>>     tag.
>
>     Those were there before I started .. They are just simplified for
>     easy of the mapper I'd say..
>

> Yes, I know that steps are often done like this, but I'd encourage
> everyone to be more precise about this, and to have the highway=steps
> tag only applied to ways which in projection are actually steps, and
> to use highway=footway for connections, stair landings and footpaces.

Fixed. Used highway=pedestrian as that is consistent with the lower way.

The landings on large areas may be better tagged as a pedestrian area.

For an example of steps with an inconsistency between upper and lower
ways ...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4648262

ref
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queluz_National_Palace