[Tagging] Draft Proposed Relationship Area Steps

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 23:31:10 UTC 2015

The reason I think my method would be better is because it can be gradually
upgraded.
First someone just maps one way with highway=steps.
Then, someone just adds an area around it, and adds area:highway=steps.
After that someone adds step_count to the way and adds a few other ways,
each with it's own step_count.

There is no big jump from simple method to complicated method.

And after that, your question comes :)

> So far this method has on closed way for the area, two ways near the
> laterals for the number of steps .. and then two more ways ? At the top and
> bottom for the levels (inclines) there?
> That is 5 ways total.

I made a picture again because I think this is impossible to explain in
just words.

http://i.imgur.com/KJRe9l2.png

I made four red dots on the left way, and two red dots on the right way.
That number is the step_count number. Now we just have to say that the
second step from the left way goes to the first step on the right way. I'm
not sure what would be the best method. I'm not even sure if we need
anything more. We should draw the highway=steps way orthogonal to the
steps, and that means an algorithm could find out what step on the right
way goes with what step on the left way. If the algorithm gets it wrong,
just make the way more precise (orthogonal) or add more ways.

Why did the left way in my picture get a dot right on the start of the way?
Because it starts with a rise of the step, and the right one starts with
the tread of the step[1]. A simple steps:starts_with=rise/tread could help
there. For example in this photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_variable_rise_stairway_in_front_of_The_Duomo_or_Cathedral,_next_to_The_Ducal_Palace_in_Urbino,_region_Marche_in_Italy.jpg

The left part starts with a tread, and the right one starts with a rise.

Janko Mihelić

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairs#mediaviewer/File:Stairway_Measurements.svg