[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 9 14:22:44 UTC 2015

I have resorted to changing railway=abandoned to railway=disused
on several occasions just to get mapnik and friends to render
bridges. Bridges over roads and rivers are major features of relevance
to tall vehicles and boats, so really should show up on standard
rendering.

According to the wiki railway=abandoned applies when the rails have been
removed, and disused should be used when the rails are still present.

Not suprisingly this has been raised before, as for instance at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Railways.

I don't like tagging for the renderer and normally avoid it, but in this
case it seems to be necessary to maintain the reputation of OSM/mapnik.

A quick search of the wiki didn't find where to report bugs on the
standard mapnik osm style, but I can't imagine that this has not been
raised before.

Should I just switch to "disused" even when no rails are present?

ael