[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Mon Mar 9 14:47:34 UTC 2015

On 09/03/2015 14:22, ael wrote:
> I have resorted to changing railway=abandoned to railway=disused
> on several occasions just to get mapnik and friends to render
> bridges. Bridges over roads and rivers are major features of relevance
> to tall vehicles and boats, so really should show up on standard
> rendering.

"Mapnik" the software is just fine; it's our "standard" map that's the
problem.

This was discussed to death on
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/542 and frankly
there's nothing more to be said that hasn't already been said there on
the subject.

However please DO tag what's on the ground.  Just because one online map
is incapable of rendering large physical features as they appear is not
a good reason to tag things incorrectly.  Other maps do render abandoned
railways; if the "standard" map doesn't work for you, don't use it (it
doesn't for me and I don't).

Cheers,

Andy