[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 9 16:27:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 03:35:19PM +0100, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> +1, please tag what is on the ground,
> and railway=abandoned is not rendered on carto by decision, read here:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/542

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. Obviously I support the
case made there very clearly for (just) rendering the bridges. A pity that
it seems to have been dismissed without any real explanation.

An ordinary person who hears of Openstreetmap goes straight to the
Mapnik default front page. They may find the "Layers" and select
another rendering (none of which seem to show these bridges).
But they are not going to find all the other OSM based maps without
digging fairly deeply. It is a pity that there isn't a prominent
page in the wiki listing all/many of the other maps. Yes, I know it is a
wiki, so I ought to add it myself...

ael