[Tagging] Blatant tagging for the renderer: bridges & abandoned railways

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Mar 9 20:03:14 UTC 2015

The core problem is:
*railway=abandoned*
Refers to railway service, and does not describe what's on the ground.
What's on the ground could range from a bit of residual lead arsenate
herbicide,
up through a highly visible gravel trackbed with bridges and culverts and
bits of railway artifact scattered about.

So how do we tag the railway history AND what we can see on the ground?

*railway=abandoned  (part of a railway relation)*

*highway=track*

*bridge=yes*

*width=5m*
*access=**unenforced*

And a bit down the old track:
*railway=abandoned **(part of a railway relation)*

*natural=tree_row*

Somehow we have to map what it was (a railway) and what it is now (perhaps
a farm field, subdivision, or secret shortcut through the woods).
Then the default rendering pretty clearly can show "what it is now"*,*
without running rendered lines through current day buildings, parks and
parking lots.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/