[Tagging] Survey points

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 9 21:02:00 UTC 2015

The Wiki is very clear (in several languages) as what a survey point is,
but is there some other meaning that mappers understand this term to
mean? The reason I ask is that I often come across man_made=survey_point
tags that have been added to other objects. Not infrequently this tag
replaces an existing man_made=* tag, even though other tags describing
the original object remain. This then creates a nonsensical set of tags.
I have just come across these tags added to some buoys in the middle of
the River Maas! As is often the case, the changeset was un-commented, so
I have added a query comment to see if I can discover what was in that
mappers mind.