[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Reception Desk

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Tue Mar 10 21:23:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 11:38 +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>..

> > Using a tag that is not on the wiki will probably mean it is not
> > rendered.

> rendered where? Many if not even most of the tags that are described
> in the wiki are actually not rendered on the OSM-Carto style.

While true Martin, its a simplification. A tag mentioned in the wiki or
other "authoritative source" is seen by many people and therefore more
likely to be used in many entries than some tag that I personally think
is great but one one else realises I'm using.

And anyone making a render decision is likely to consider the number of
times a tag is used (among other things). So, the wiki and similar
focuses efforts on a smaller set of tags.

Have a think about the Tower of Babel.

David