[Tagging] Current status of the key smoothness=*

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:27:30 UTC 2015

I'm not sure much can be done about the situation. Verifiability depends on
one person's subjective assessment of the smoothness of a road. The
illustration in the Wiki of a road that is "impassable" can be negotiated
by a skilled rider on a mountain bike.

During the discussion of this topic someone suggested trying to make a
quantitative measurement of smoothness by attaching some sort of gyroscope
or accelerometer to a vehicle's bumper in order to produce a number.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 6:56 PM, jgpacker <john.packer7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I saw in the wiki page  Key:smoothness
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness#Controversy>   that
> there
> is a section about the controversy over it's verifiability.
>
> As far as I remember, this tag was throughly discussed here until a
> consensus was achieved (which was that it should be classified according to
> how usable the road is/which kinds of modes of transportation can use it).
>
> Is this claim over it's verifiability still current?
>
> I think it's not, and that this claim should be removed from the page
> (though it may be useful to write a section with a brief history of this
> key).
>
> Cheers,
> John
>

> --