[Tagging] Rendering of individual power lines in residential areas on default osm-carto

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Mar 12 01:58:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I don't agree to use highway=* + utility_wires because of the lack of
> information it introduces.
> The member nodes of the highway=* way won't reflect the real position of
> (and some other details about) the poles supporting utilities networks
> beside the road.

I don't care to map to a greater level of detail.  So the utility_wires tag
adds *more* information than *no* information.
I do of course realize this is less detail than tagging each pole, lamp
stand and bird nest.

--
That said, the two schemes don't seem particularly incompatible either.

The utility undergrounding information, even just on a road by road basis,
is important in terms
of emergency services and after huge storms.  In California where I live
communities vie for conversion
to underground utilities for these reasons among others.