[Tagging] Buildings blocks

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Mar 12 08:52:20 UTC 2015

Landuse=* is not just about defining a residential area or an industrial zone.

I use all of the class landuses to define the individual grounds for a specific company’s factory or for a certain shop. yes, I can use the landuse to define a section, but I just as often use it to define individual places - just as one defines a school, park, hospital, or other facility.

I am mapping Maebashi, Japan street by street thanks to a recent imagery update.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.42821/139.03987 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.42821/139.03987>

There is no reason you can’t use landuse=residential on the land, wall on the border, and a building=* as necessary.

This is the only intended use of landuse=religious, for example - define the grounds of a religious place.

Plot=*  could be applied to many different kinds of land ownership, just as the other industrial, commercial, and industrial landuses are already used in this way.

if you really want to map the landuse of individual houses, or even contiguous blocks of residential housing, the landuse=residential is for you.

~~~~

The blocks might be numbered (like Japan), and the house numbered below that. (no street names or sequential numbers, as the plots are not numbered based on street location).

I went looking fro an answer to this just now, (assuming Japan Tagging solved this issue) because these block numbers are absolutely necessary for visual navigation (they show up on Google and Apple maps, for example) So I compared the wikipedia entry on the Japan addressing system to the OSM wiki page for Japan tagging to find an answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system>

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Japan_tagging#Places <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Japan_tagging#Places>

There are two land naming systems in use in Japan (old and new), and between them and the special cases, they use up all the values between “city” and “neighborhood” (not every value is used for every address, it is a mix for each area), so some kind of administrative value for “place=block” will have to be used for the last level between “neighborhood” and “street address” (plot # in Japan), which is currently  undocumented on the JA tagging Wiki page. . It might help this labeling situation as well.

Javbw