[Tagging] Regional stylesheets for osm-carto (Was: rendering of local power lines)

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Thu Mar 12 09:56:24 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com
> <mailto:johnw at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>     ...  which is a real detriment to the OSM/-carto render in Japan ...

So create your own rendering (either on your own, or with the rest of
the Japanese community).  Many different ones exist already - for
example if you go to http://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html you'll see a
very "German" style.

The "standard" map has an impossible job - trying to be "a nice map",
providing feedmap to mappers that an esoteric thing that they've just
mapped is now present on the map and trying to work for everyone around
the world regardless of country or urban / rural location.  It's not
going to "the best representation of map data for Japan" for the same
reason that it can't be "the best representation of map data for
England"or anywhere else - it's compromised by having to work
internationally.

Depending on what you want to change, small changes to an existing map
style need not be a particularly difficult job.  Assuming what you want
is an OSM-like tile server, the basics of setting that up are described
here(1).  MapBox's "TileMill Crash Course" is here(2).  I also have some
notes here(3), here(4) and here(5) - but I'm sure that there are lots of
other ones - try looking at presentations from previous SOTMs.

Cheers,

Andy

(1)
https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-14-04/