[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Reception Desk

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:03:05 UTC 2015

> The level of opposition -- regardless of the technical count -- indicates
> the proposal can use some improvement.
> I urge any person getting this level of opposition to reconsider, resolve
> the issues, and resubmit.

If you look at the actual comments, almost none of them are useful,
sometimes already answered (but still repeated by following voters). E.g.

- "It's not simple at all. Using amenity
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=* for this makes it
impossible to combine it with such POIs. Also why amenity at all? For me it
looks like a "I didn't find anything better", I mean amenity
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=reception_desk
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dreception_desk> can't
even stand on its owm."

with which POI should this be combined _on the same object_? I mean, this
is a tag for a reception desk, obviously it can be combined with other
amenities by putting it inside them, but you won't have many objects that
are at the same time a reception desk and don't know, toilets? An example
why this is a problem would help to understand the reservation.

- this comment pops up several times (as the only reason for opposition):
"The tag is related to tourism and not to amenity."

but it was already answered: this is nothing particular to tourism, it can
appear in all kinds of companies, administration contexts etc.

- "vague, half-baked" is not a critic that helps to improve or even shows
potential problems

- "The proposal Sems to me too isolated, it should be embedded in an indoor
tagging scheme."

the voter wants a complete indoor tagging scheme and therefor opposes a tag
that might be one of the first steps towards this?

- " It should not be an amenity, the definition is vague, and in most cases
this should go under indoor mapping, which is quite a complex subject."

I didn't know "indoor mapping" was a different part of the project. You can
discuss the vagueness of the definition, but to me "A Reception Desk
provides a place where a visitor goes to gain information and or access to
the facility e.g. could be in a motel, office, campsite. It has been
suggested as an additional tag for a campsite .. but would be better as a
general tag as reception desks occur in many other places." isn't too vague.

- "This tag needs more time."

not helping in any way to find potential problems. No substantial critique.

the only useful point of critique is this one IMHO: " The reception is not
necessarily a 'desk'."

More than the proposal I think the reasoning for opposing the proposal
would have to be improved.

Cheers,
Martin