[Tagging] Regional stylesheets for osm-carto (Was: rendering of local power lines)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:39:20 UTC 2015

> I would support the idea of a regional style iff it turns out to be
> practicable. One, isolated example. One of the reasons i was given for the
> inability to render unsealed roads was that the "preferred" style, dashed
> infill, was already used for tunnels.

I second the observation that the distinction of sealed / unsealed roads is
very important (ignoring the surface tag also leads to a lot of mistagging
(highway=track)), but I don't consider this a regional issue, it is
important everywhere. What would be nice to regionalize are public
transport icons, e.g. for subways / metro / light rail. These typically
play an important role for identication with a place, and also serve for
recognition. Some examples: http://mic-ro.com/metro/metrologos.html

cheers,
Martin