John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat Mar 14 04:41:19 UTC 2015

I think a nice, scenic spot with a creek and some trees to block the wind 25km from the nearest parking lot in the middle of 4000m mountains a visible only on foot or by donkey is very different than a turnout on the side of the road, or a spot inside a large camping complex made around a car entrance for a state park.

Especially when the only one doing the designation is the tagger themselves - they are just informal spots that happen to be good - nothing that is labeled on a map from the park service - as you are allowed to camp wherever you wish anywhere in hundreds of square kilometers - knowing that there is a good spot near the trail one lake further to the north or further down the trail is useful - though not official or "designated".

I have spent a lot of time in my youth looking at topographic maps and looking at guides for backcountry/trekking routes, and most of the places I have gone start at these more official camps - but the best spots I have gone back to time after time are just sand under a tree or a flat spot near a cave in the desert - and mapping them for other Trekkers would be useful only if they are not confused at all with all of the other, more substatial or easily accessed spots in a camp or along a road.

Javbw