[Tagging] Rendering of individual power lines in residential areas on default osm-carto

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Mar 15 00:21:24 UTC 2015

Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> writes:

> Have a peek here to see what residential power lines might look like, if
> added to the database:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/37.64529/-118.97450

A few thoughts:

  There's a big difference between "transmission" and "distribution".
  Those may be US terms, but I think the concept is pretty universal:
  there are fairly high-voltage pretty serious lines connecting
  generation and substations in towns/etc. and then a network from teh
  substations to customers.  Around me the tranmisstion to the
  substation is 115K and the distribution is 13.8K max.  So obviously
  power lines should be tagged as to whether they are transmission vs
  distribution.

  As one zooms in, more detail beceomes reasonable.  I would say
  rendering distribution at z18 is reasonable, maybe z17.  The problem
  is that these show up at z14.

  Probably distrbution should be only a pixel, not what seems like more.

Sorry, no patch.  Setting up mapnik/carto is still on my todo list.