[Tagging] waterway=lock_gate - is it only for nodes?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:14:32 UTC 2015

I'm embarrassed to admit I have tagged 82 of those features as ways here in
Thailand. I guess I simply never thought to look at the Wiki because it
seemed so obvious to me that most lock_gates cross the waterway. These
features are not rendered on any OSM map I've seen so my mistakes never
"came to light" until just now.

On the other hand, these features are actually a linear barrier with a
finite length that extend across a channel or canal. It makes sense to
allow tagging them as ways as well as nodes.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> According to wiki[1] waterway=lock_gate should be used only on nodes.
>> Some are tagged on
>> ways[2]. Why wiki considers node as the only valid element where this tag
>> may be used? Is it
>> because page is older than mapping rivers also as areas? Routing for
>> boats? Some other reason?
>>
>> Is it a good idea to change wiki and mark tagging on nodes as a good
>> idea? Is it a good idea to
>> promote tagging also on ways[3]?
>>

> I think both, nodes and ways are valid approaches, and indeed, if the
> waterway is mapped as an area, a way for the lock gate might be the better
> representation. If the wiki should get amended, it should be pointed out,
> that the way for the lock gate should be orthogonal to the waterway and not
> in the same direction (i.e. the lock gate should be mapped with this tag
> and not the area inside the lock). Not sure about doing both: we do it for
> waterways mapped as an area (there is an area and there is a center line
> for the waterway). Doing both will add redundancy but will be easier to
> evaluate (consumers will less likely miss the feature).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska