[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:04:54 UTC 2015

> <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>>:
>
>     I don't think "being rendered on all renderers" is a proper
>     decision criteria
>

> +1, the list of tags mostly not rendered but well established is long:
opening_hours (used by some renderers into GPS 'maps' such as OSMAnd)
> wikipedia
> start_date
> operator
> (population) (is actually taken into account when rendering)
turn_restrictions (used by at least some routers on GPS 'maps')

routes (well, some renderers do show them, but osm carto doesn't)
(Rendered by some as you say)

> description
> inscription
note (not rendered .. for use by mappers to make notes to other mappers
? thus not required to be rendered?)
> website
> phone
> url
>
> plus all other keys that don't even get imported into most of the
> rendering databases.
>

> cheers,
> Martin

I think most, if not all, of the tags you list .. I'm not using... other
than the ones I've made notes on... while they may be long established
they may not be used by new mappers and thus be less populated than they
could be. Hard to measure, but that is my take on it. I think there are
keys that could be rendered that simply miss out because they are not
frequently used or are not present as a tag option.