[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:55:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> -1
> The main criticism about "votes" is the "approved" status and the
> small amount of participants, not percentage of approvals. So change
> the status name and increase the quorum, not the opposite. It's also
> not a problem to keep the "vote" open for a long time.

The voting time is a separate discussion all together. In principle, we
could replace the approved/rejected status with supported/not-supported.
When a mapper is looking for a tag, he will see not only the amount of
uses, but also the level of support (and also for the negative votes—the
reasoning). This will make him able to decide whether or not he wants to
use that tag.

We can therefore do three things now:
- Leave everything as is and continue the discussion.
- Correct the math by voting for my proposal and then continue the
discussion
- Develop a new formula first.

The current situation is that there are open proposals, so in my opinion it
would help to at least resolve the unclarity we agreed on.

So just to repeat: I agree with the whole argument about the drawbacks of
the current discussion and voting system. But until we have a better one
let's at least make the current one not self-contradictory. The discussion
may take forever and not actually result in anything. Let's make the first
change for the better now, and then try to make it great.

Cheers,
Kotya