[Tagging] Separating usage docs from design docs (was: Increasing voting participation)

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:30:35 UTC 2015

On 18/03/2015, Christopher Hoess <cahoess at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's an interesting idea, but I think it may be a little too heavy on
> coexistence; I think we'd gradually accumulate a cloud of contradictory
> proposals with no incentive to resolve them.

Are you afraid of wiki bloat ? I don't think it'd be much of an issue.
Proposals that fall into disuse will naturally lose their links from
feature pages and disappear from public view. We already have a
collection of old contradictory proposals that have never been
officially rejected. It doesn't hurt much, they sometimes come up in a
search, but since we probably  never want to fully delete them from
the wiki anyway...

> So, my modest proposal: if you want to create a new key, add a new page to
> the wiki. If you want to create a new value for a key, add it to the
> existing page for the key. If someone sees that edit and wants to change
> it, they can change it; if you object, the two of you can discuss it on the
> talk page. Tags used in the database that are not documented in the wiki
> (here comes the outrageous part!) are treated as provisional; they can be
> added or removed at will, by any editor, mechanically or otherwise.

Tempting, but I don't think it'll fly, for a few reasons:
 * We've got a huge backlog of frequently-used non-documented keys to
work through : http://taginfo.osm.org/reports/frequently_used_keys_without_wiki_page
 * For good or ill, a lot of contributors don't (want to) use the
wiki. Turning it into a mandatory part of osm just won't work from a
social point of view
 * You're raising the bar quite a bit for the creation of new tags,
without even improving the quality of tags in the process.
 * Suggesting that it's ok to undo somebody's work because he didn't
document it is a recipe for nasty conflicts.