[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:30:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Jan van Bekkum <jan.vanbekkum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Correct, but the forums are easier to scan through and search,

Jan, I wonder if you've ever had a question, googled for an answer and
landed in a forum thread with 50+ pages with 10 posts per page.
Personally, I dislike forums even more than mailing lists. But evil are
both. It's very easy to create noise, and pretty difficult to find and
create the actual content.

That's why StackExchange is such a success and why it's also pretty
unique—it was not easy to find a really working solution. Even at SE some
questions get half a dozen very technical answers and it's not easy to
check and understand each of them. However a few important ideas were
implemented:
1) Good and consistent text formatting.
2) Voting for questions, answers and comments.
3) Reputation indication.
4) Editing of questions and answers.
5) Search that actually works
6) Tagging and suggestion of similar topics
7) Moderation.
8) Discrete ads.
9) Excellent user interface, making it easy to ask, easy to answer and
challenging to mess things up.

All of these are missing in mailing lists and most are missing in forums.

Cheers,
Kotya