[Tagging] Fuel shops

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:46:04 UTC 2015

On 20/03/2015 12:31 AM, phil at trigpoint.me.uk wrote:
> On Thu Mar 19 12:46:02 2015 GMT, Jan van Bekkum wrote:
>> I would prefer a different tag as I would not like the lemonade table to be
>> rendered in the same way as a regular filling station. The tag shop=gas
>> with subtag would be better.
>>
> I would expect  shop=gas to sell bottled gas for camping
>
> Gas as you have used it is American/English/,  the/British/  English is petrol.
>
> However I can see nothing wrong with amenity=fuel, that is what it is in that part of the world . What turns amenity=fuel into a regular filling station is the building=roof.

I've come across regular filling stations without a roof. Somewhere in Scotland.. on a Sunday .. no one there but a credit card reader so I could get fuel.
Others in Australia .. White Cliffs,  Warburton, Docker River, Laverton, Carnegie Station and many others.
The existence of a roof does not identify a 'regular filling station' to me.

So what does identify the 'regular filling station'? The petrol pump http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser
The small providers in Africa tend to 'advertise' by hanging empty bottles up - the same kind of bottles they use to store and dispense fuel.
Some places use the 44 gallon drum.

Perhaps those can be used to distinguish between them .. the present OSM rendering uses a petrol pump as the symbol..
A bottle and/or a 44 gallon drum as the rendered symbol perhaps .. with a tag for dispensing method .. pump, drum or bottle?
If they remained under the present tagging system they would be rendered still ..
and once the sub tags of bottle/drum become important then those would be distinguished?

If you do require a larger volume of fuel .. I think those low volume places would direct you to a high volume place, and be able to provide enough fuel to get there.