[Tagging] Fuel shops

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:12:07 UTC 2015

I don't see where all the confusion comes from. I chose shop=fuel for the
exact reason of avoiding confusion with full-service filling stations,
which is the primary reason for wanting a new tag in the first place. We
want to avoid using amenity=fuel for this type of shop. I have designed a
custom icon for use with this sort of shop and they show up fine on my
Garmin and Basecamp. It could be modified for use in OSM if needed.

The word fuel avoids confusion with the British "petrol" (petroleum) and
the American "gas" (gasoline) and also with shop=gas which already exists
to denote a place that sells propane or camping gas canisters. There is no
substance named "motorcycle petrol" or "bike petrol", it's normal gasoline.
Roofs do not make a petrol station anymore than do electric pumps. Also,
roof is an attribute of a building, not a petrol station.

Fuel=bottled won't fly either because the fuel tag defines what variety of
fuel is available: diesel, gasohol, or whatever, not its delivery method.

Dave

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/03/2015 9:30 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> On 19 March 2015 at 21:46, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  The existence of a roof does not identify
>>> a 'regular filling station' to me.
>>>
>> amenity=fuel
>> pumps=8
>>
>> vs.
>>
>> amenity=fuel
>> pumps=0
>>
>> ?
>>

> Humm pump is used http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:pump
>
> And pump does not tell the different=ce between bottle and drum.
>
> I've suggested the dispensing method as one idea..
> Another idea is the storage method or quanity .. easiest for the mapper to
> determine method?
>
> fuel:storage=bottle, drum, tank Needs words to say that the tank is a
> large volume. ?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand