[Tagging] Separating usage docs from design docs (was: Increasing voting participation)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:47:58 UTC 2015

> Tempting, but I don't think it'll fly, for a few reasons:
>  * We've got a huge backlog of frequently-used non-documented keys to
> work through :
> http://taginfo.osm.org/reports/frequently_used_keys_without_wiki_page

Many of them do appear in the wiki, but don't have a dedicated "standard"
definition page, e.g. I have found the second line here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Is_in:state_code
(it is just a redirect to the is_in docu, where the key "is_in:state_code"
is indeed defined).

Also this one can be found on 4 wiki pages "geobase:uuid",
e.g. here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase/Canadian_Geopolitical_Boundaries

Generally these are mostly tags that came in by imports (the most frequent
ones), and very likely are of no use to OSM. Before creating documentation
for them, in many cases we should ask the people that imported these
objects to clean up the mess, wait some time and revert the unmodified part
of it if nothing happens ;-) Maybe we could even think about redaction of
some of these tags (to avoid history spam), after careful discussion. A few
seem also suitable for being added manually, e.g. "source:position" (some
values came in by import as well:
http://taginfo.osm.org/keys/source%3Aposition#values )

Cheers,
Martin