[Tagging] Fuel shops

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Mar 20 11:26:54 UTC 2015

> On Mar 20, 2015, at 6:19 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/03/2015 6:20 PM, John Willis wrote:
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to read up on how to define the fuel type.
>>
>> I imagine there is various heating oils, propane and kerosene, LNG, coal, wood, different grades of gas, diesel, aviation fuel, jet fuel, etc - even "farm gas" which has different taxes.
>>
>> How can those be defined - esp if a shop sells more than one ( like my Japanese gas station that also sells kerosene?)
>
> Read the wiki? http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fuel <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fuel>

Thanks for the link.

> that lists various octane ratings, LPG, wood, electric, diesel...
>
> It misses on various things as it is designed for amenity=fuel ...
> but has been expanded for amenity=bbq ... that expansion has not followed the same system though.

well, I guess you could use fuel:wood=yes for a place that sells firewood, same with charcoal, if it was of mappable importance.

at least they didn’t try to define the liquid fuels the same way (“gas”), and left it to us to add propane/kerosene, etc.

> You can change it .. or make proposals here. Just don't change the existing values and it should be fine.
> I'd think you'd be adding heating oils, propane and kerosene.
> I'd leave the avgas and jet fuel for later when aviation types want it, not something you normally see for sale.

yea, I’m more interested in kerosene for mapping Japan. Propane in the US is for BBQ grills, right? as far as the heating oils they use for the central heaters in the eastern US, I have no idea what it is actually called.

> 'Opal' fuel is a special petrol that exists in 'outback' Australia .. maybe that could be added.

if that is how it’s displayed, I would add it, as it is not “normal” gasoline. There’s another additive down there too, the adblue stuff.

> it discourages kids sniffing petrol and ending up without brains. Some people use avgas in their vehicles for the same purpose.

there must not be a lot of stuff to do out there, I take it.

Javbw.