[Tagging] Historic tower

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:54:46 UTC 2015

On 21/03/2015 6:24 AM, André Pirard wrote:
> On 2015-03-20 18:15, Volker Schmidt wrote :
>>

>> On 20 March 2015 at 17:48, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
>> <mailto:A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     historic=1200     (for precise minds)
>>
>> This use of the "historic" tag is new to me. Where is it defined?

You can use google to find OSM wiki defined keys/values..

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:historic

> The suggested tag was "historic = yes".
> The word "historic" is an adjective defined here
> <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/historic?s=t> and is in use
> since about 1600.
> We have already discussed that historic=castle which is "a historic"
> with an attribute "castle" doesn't make sense.
> "historic" is not a substantive describing an object and, moreover, a
> castle is not always historic.
> The logical and natural ways is:
> building=castle
> historic=yes/no
> castle being the attribute (type) of building and historic the
> attribute of castle.
> That's something everybody can understand and even figure without
> looking at the wiki.
> 1200 was a sensible extension.

Not that way... I'd think it would need

historic:date=1200AD ?

But perhaps it would be more universal to have

built_date=1200 AD

as it could be used for more modern structures that don't have an
historic association (yet)? !

Wiki search on date ..
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:start_date#End_date_and_alternatives