David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sun Mar 22 09:37:46 UTC 2015

Dave S, think you missed the list....

On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 09:19 +0700, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> Okay then, Your idea is to define the campgrounds inside of national
> and state parks as commercial ones?

Well, its more a case of are you paying to camp there ?  And are you
being provided with extensive services or not ?

Here in Aus, camp grounds in national parks are generally more basic,
they are cheap, minimal facilities. But some, at specific places, are
more like commercial ones. So, I'd call the flash ones commercial, even
though they are operated by Parks.

> I have no problem with that other than I usually don't consider
> government run operations of any type, including campgrounds, as
> "commercial".

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, I reckon its a duck !

> Commercial implies a business run for profit, not a governmental
> administered operation. All I'm looking for is a category into which
> the majority of the campgrounds in the United States will fit. If you
> want to lump them together then the definition of commercial needs to
> change.

Yes, maybe its a case that the name is wrong. Not sure of a better name.
When you think about it, the camp ground it self (in those flash
National Parks) are in fact run for profit, the profit goes back to help
running the park, but its still run on a fee for service basis.

David