[Tagging] Feature Propsal - RFC - Generalized Overhead Wire Mapping - utility_wires=overhead/underground

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 13:11:47 UTC 2015

Am 18.03.2015 um 05:08 schrieb Bryce Nesbitt:
> In celebration of:
>  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D-mapland
> I offer to the tagging discussion:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Quickly_Marking_Utility_Wires
> A proposal for quickly marking large areas with utility pole style.
>
> To be resolved are which streets within an "area" can be assumed to
> have overhead lines,
> if the area is marked with lines.

I can understand the intend of the proposal but I do not like it in the
current state.

1. If renderers do not nicely present mirco-mapped areas they need to be
fixed and may be also the current tagging system to better present
differences.

2. do not use it for areas but only for streets as areas are more
difficult to evaluate and once on street is differently equipped you
will get conflicts between street and area

3. I would always consider this kind of tagging as an intermediate state
before micro-mapping. Thus once the utility is mapped as own object the
tag on the street should not be used anymore. Please, avoid duplications
in the data.

cu fly