[Tagging] Historic tower

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:27:00 UTC 2015

> Am 22.03.2015 um 15:39 schrieb fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>:
>
> but how to handle buildings which where finished after two/three centuries ?

start_date according to the wiki is the completion date, or the date when the feature became active. FWIW, buildings very often get extended, changed, even rebuild, especially those that lasted for centuries. We don't have an exact method to store this information in OSM (and doing it would probably go beyond our scope and methods, even a single wall will often be of different periods). You must see start_date as an approximate method to give some  indication  (I suggest to use the oldest start date in cases where the building has undergone several building phases, or maybe the most significant if nothing of the oldest building can be seen)

cheers
Martin