Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:11:52 UTC 2015

> I don't like the idea that a "designated" camp site has to be
> non-commercial, I'd rather tag that aspect with the "fee" key.

to explain a bit more: we use "designated" in other parts of our tagging
(access) as a stronger "yes" (i.e. signposted/official), using it here
differently seems odd.

Another issue:
5. Informal camping (camp_site
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:camp_site&action=edit&redlink=1>
=informal
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:camp_site%3Dinformal&action=edit&redlink=1>)
- locations that are not set up to offer camping, but are more suitable for
camping than other places in the neighbourhood and therefore valuable to
know.

--> I think this should get another main tag, basically there is not camp
site, there is only a spot that is suitable to camp from the point of view
of the mapper. This should not be confusable with "official" camp sites.

6. "Areas for example in National Parks where camping is permitted camp_site
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:camp_site&action=edit&redlink=1>
=permitted_area
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:camp_site%3Dpermitted_area&action=edit&redlink=1>."

--> see 5, these are not camp sites

Also I see a lot of overlap, because different aspects of the same thing
are packed into the same key:
1. commercial or not for profit
2. trekking or motorized campers
3. formal or informal places

My suggestion would be to have different subkeys for 1 and 2 and to have
different main keys (tourism=camp_site and new key) for 3.
The part 2 could also be further distinguished (types of vehicle)

Cheers,
Martin