[Tagging] Proposal : Move "smoking" tag to active status

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Mar 23 16:15:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:

> I object. The feature page should document actual usage, and actual usage
> differs from proposed usage. smoking=outside is the second most common
> value
> and 15x more abundant than the proposed smoking:outside=yes.

If you look,  I indeed adjusted the new feature page to document current
usage.  smoking=outside is 20% of the
usage, it was glaringly missing.

"smoking:outside" is not a new proposal: it's been a documented Russian and
German tag for years.  Here the English pages lag.

Beyond that "smoking:outside" is needed because with just "smoking=outside"
you can't document things like:
smoking=separated    (inside)
smoking:outside=yes   (outside)
The wiki can't be just for documenting high volume tags.  The wiki has to
describe tagging *schemes* that hold together and make sense.  Else what's
the point of the wiki?