[Tagging] areas (eg rocks) underwater and across coastline/water shores

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:17:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 04:42:45PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > Am 26.03.2015 um 13:35 schrieb Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Current practice of having it end exactly on the shoreline
> > is both incorrect and a technical complication for mappers.
>

> I believe for mappers it is the easiest solution, not a technical complication. It is typically very difficult to find out until where which landcover reaches underwater.

Having areas end exactly at the waterline seems to be  a common
reason for mapping mistakes and broken coastlines so I don't see
that it would be the easiest solution.

Also it is almost never so that the rock would end exactly at the
waterline and even if you do not know exactly how far it extends
underwater a good guess is still better than inserting wrong
information.

Richard