[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:31:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:natural%3Dlava has some
thoughts how to map lava fields and calderas - I think those should
be finalized and documented.

Cut & paste
    Lava fields
    natural=bare_rock ("rock" being used in the broad sense of a consolidated (solid) or unconsolidated (granular) layer)
    geological=* with =volcanic_lava_field or more specific tagging for solidified molten rock, pyroclastic mud flows etc

    Lava field features
    geological=volcanic_lava_channel — way — lava flowing in a defined direction
    geological=volcanic_lava_tube — way — naturally formed lava tunnel, may be active or extinct, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_tube
    etc

    Crater rims
    natural=cliff or natural=ridge and
    geological=volcanic_caldera_rim

    Volcanic vents (a volcano can often be a complex and have multiple vents)
    geological=volcanic_vent

    Fumaroles
    geological=volcanic_fumarole

    Geysers
    natural=spring or or natural=hot_spring (proposed)
    geological=volcanic_geyser (I notice that the Iceland geyser is "Geysir" but the common English spelling is geyser.

Richard