John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Mar 30 20:06:42 UTC 2015

Yes, scouts are tourists, espcially since scout groups are usually just connected together through a uniform and a book - the local groups are operated by disparate charity groups, and even local groups have little knowledge of each other.

The camp I worked at in central California is operated by a local council.

Boys from over 500km away, driven there in groups by parents, would come to stay there for a week. There would be 4-6 groups a week for 10 weeks. That is a TON of people from all over California, with no direct knowledge of the area, who don't belong to the little local group, operating the camp who come and visit.

There is a scout camp on an island off Los Angeles, and everyone who goes there is a tourist. They are all visitors for a short stay at a unfamiliar camp.

And then you do tourist activities while you are there - hiking, snorkeling, boating, and other outdoor activities as would any camping tourist would do on the island (besides getting drunk and falling into a cactus).

Javbw