[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 01:28:15 UTC 2015

At a first level approximation, a volcano is a peak.  Even on the caldera
rim there's still a high point, and that's the peak.
If you want to map the caldera create a key for that.
If you want to map the volcano extent, good luck.  Where's the base of a
mountain?  What defines the edge of a volcano differently from the edge of
a mountain?

+1 on that. The question of how to map Hawaiian Islands is a perfect
example of the difficulty inherent in this approach.

I also agree that there should be some way to identify or characterize
prominence. I don't have any answers but agree it's something to work
toward.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:42 AM, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 31.03.2015 0:47, John Willis napisał(a):
>
>  They worry so much about vandalism and "verifiability" - but landmark
>> and "importance" level of local things can only be mapped and verified
>> by local mappers - mappers are trusted to map so many things, this
>> should be one of them.
>>

> I don't know this case, but I know case with adding more POI icons:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1402#
> issuecomment-85010118
>
> I guess it's Andy Allan himself which is the most conservative and - sadly
> - not too vocal about his choices. And he's rather not aware how powerful
> he is. Being the final authority on what gets (or does not get) into the
> default map rendering, he has kind of real "veto" for tagging schemes (like
> with partial public_transport=* implementation).
>
> I also strongly disagree with such approach. Do we have examples of any
> substantial tagging misuse (other than tagging for rendering, which is also
> a consequence of too tight rules) or is it just overly cautious behavior,
> as I suspect?
>
>  We should have at least more than 2 kinds of mountains based on
>> relative size and importance, in some manner.
>>

> Once I wanted to have more types of peaks, based on the same principle:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/peak
>
> but users of this list were generally not sympathetic to this idea.
>
> --
> Piaseczno Miasto Wąskotorowe

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska