[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Mar 31 20:22:48 UTC 2015

W dniu 31.03.2015 11:22, Janko Mihelić napisał(a):
> Nominatim heavily uses the Wikipedia tag to decide which search result
> to put in front. So if you write "Paris" in the search box, Paris,
> Texas is not going to be the first result. They look at the length of
> the article, number of translated articles, or something like that. I
> see no reason renderers shouldn't use that too.

Generally speaking they can, of course, but in case of default osm-carto
rendering there's no chance currently, since Andy is totally opposed to
any subjective measures:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/337#issuecomment-88183184

However if we can find some - more or less - objective features, they
could have some weight in rendering algorithm. In case of cities it's
being/not being the admin_centre or population numbers, but I don't know
what features could it be for volcanos. Maybe elevation, caldera
diameter or being a tourist attraction?

--
Piaseczno Miasto Wąskotorowe