[Tagging] How to model sidewalks, crossings and kerbs with respect to routing applications?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:32:22 UTC 2015

stefan.hahmann at geog.uni-heidelberg.de>:

> My current favourite would be either solution 3 (which is easiest to
> implement in current routing engines) or solution 1 (for the sake of actual
> correct modeling). Maybe there are even more (better?) solutions?

If you want to stay on this model with kerbs as a node, solution 1 seems
the easiest. Alternatively I can imagine having the kerbs modeled as ways
as well, and model the true topology (i.e. the highway=footway in the
centre of the footway/sidewalk). This way you could use area-relations
(type=area) to make actual area:highways for the road (from kerb to kerb)
and the sidewalks (from kerb to the border), hereby having an additional
benefit.

The mapping as shown in the problem description is definitely wrong,
considering the conventions we use (highway-ways are in the centre of the
highway, hence their crossings cannot be the kerbs).

Cheers,
Martin