[Tagging] Proposed tag shop=wholesale

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sat May 9 18:41:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 12:35:25PM +0900, John Willis wrote:

> > On May 9, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Wholesale implies a large quantity of goods, they sell in quantity (the quantity may be over some time, say a year).
>
> Then wholesale is an subtag on the shop, since it doesn't describe what they are selling, right?

In the UK at least, wholesalers are seldom "shops" in any normal
sense.

I haven't thought through how they should be tagged but since we don't
seem to tag many businesses in OSM maybe they are just omitted?  If we
bring them in then perhaps we start tagging businesses of many other
sorts. I don't have any strong views on that, although when out mapping
I often find businesses, warehouses and small factories which I feel
ought to be recorded, but for which there are no obvious tags (except
maybe factories). I sometimes just show a building with the name matching
the company as a compromise.

ael