[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 68, Issue 35

Lists lists at gimnechiske.org
Sun May 10 13:29:28 UTC 2015

> On May 10, 2015, at 10:14, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 13:31:16 +0100
> From: Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk <mailto:andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] surface=pebbles -> surface=pebblestone ?
>
> On 10 May 2015 at 12:03, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com <mailto:matkoniecz at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Is there any good reason to avoid changing existing surface=pebbles to
>> surface=pebblestone?
>
> I'm a native speaker of British English, and I've; never heard of
> "pebblestones".
>
> +1 for pebbles.

Don’t create a ridiculous amount of surface values, for roads there are mainly 3 interesting values (paved/unpaved/setting stones), and for non-road usage it should be free to cover about any exposed surfaces, i.e. beaches can be sand/pebbles/rock, tennis courts can be clay/synthetic/asphalt (and other values?), a soccer field can be grass/synthetic/asphalt?

I know that the tag is mainly for routing apps, though it can also have a meaning for rendering, and keeping it simple, 2 - 4 values for each type of feature is a sane approach for me.

If you really want values for each grade of surface, than it must be clearly documented, including a way for people to identify what it is. For example, most mappers wouldn’t care if it is asphalt, tarmac or bitumen in the road, or whether the stone mix in the asphalt is quartz based or granite based. These subtle differences have more impact on construction/maintenance cost and maintenance interval, than visual/routing/rendering. I am not able to spot the difference between asphalt with quartz base or asphalt with granite base, even if laid next to each other.