[Tagging] Maxspeed

Andrew MacKinnon andrewpmk at gmail.com
Sun May 10 23:41:08 UTC 2015

How do you tag speed limits on curves and highway on/off ramps? At
least in Ontario, these speed limits are advisory only and signed with
a yellow sign (and sometimes on curves you will see a curve speed
limit sign and a higher general speed limit sign right beside each
other). I have used ramp_speed and curve_speed for this and taginfo
suggests that maxspeed:advised, maxspeed:advisory, recommended_speed
might be ways to tag this. See
http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/nGxJnKpP2dootXNmp2eV_g for a typical
example of a ramp speed limit in Ottawa, Ontario (this one is 60km/h).

Also how do you tag maxspeed which is unsigned? In Ontario the default
speed limit is 50km/h in urban areas and 80km/h in rural areas when
not signed. However, there have been proposals to lower the lower
speed limit from 50km/h to 40km/h. I have been using maxspeed=national
for this, is there a better way to tag this?