[Tagging] shop=confectionery / pastry / candy / sweets

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue May 12 01:17:56 UTC 2015

> On May 12, 2015, at 12:47 AM, Satoshi IIDA <nyampire at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> There are Japanese "non-baked" confectioneries.
> (I believe similar confectioneries in other countries. esp. in Asia)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagashi>
>
> If we take only a) plan, I'm afraid of we could not represent cultural variations.
>
> +1 to Janko's a+b),
> and to express the specialty, moltonel's "confectionery:FOO=yes confectionery:BAR=yes”.

I guess there are Wagashi shops, but I never notice them.

I usually see “desert bakeries” - little cakes and bigger cakes for sale (Mon Cherie?)

and regular Japanese パンや “bread shops” selling curry-pan, melon-pan, and sliced bread and whatnot, and then “traditional sweets” shops, selling the little mint sticks, star candy, and other old style confectionaries.

Aren’t the wagashi usually found at the “traditional” sweet shops?

I have not seen a shop in Japan selling only modern candy (snickers bars, gummy snacks, etc) like you would find in a mall in America.

my favorite dessert shop in japan is a big chain called  “シャトレーゼ” Chateraise which is a cake bakery, Ice Cream Shop, and also sells cookies and their special wine via BYO bottle.

http://www.chateraise.co.jp/products/itemcatelist.php

If you want to segment up sweets, it might be a good idea to me more inclusive with other “prepared” desert items, like ice cream, ice cream cakes, and such -

so confectionary would be part of a greater “desserts” category.

シャトレーゼ:
desserts:bakery_confections=yes desserts:cakes=yes desserts:sugar_confections=no  desserts:gelatin=yes  desserts:single_icecream=yes desserts:bulk_icecream=yes desserts:soft_serve=no desserts:shakes=no