[Tagging] shop=confectionery / pastry / candy / sweets

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 21:37:14 UTC 2015

On 12 May 2015 at 19:49, Murry McEntire <murry.mcentire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In my experience, most places that sell pastries would be better tagged
>>> as bakery. Even if they only sell pastries (ie no bread), they do have to
>>> bake them, right? :)
>>

>> I wouldn't tag a place as bakery which doesn't sell bread. This is also
>> in line with the osm wiki:
>>
>> "A *bakery* is a shop selling bread. Bakeries normally bake fresh bread
>> on the premises. Normally also sell pastries, cakes, etc. Often do fresh
>> sandwiches or baguettes. Often do decorated cakes."
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbakery
>>

>> Besides that I am not really happy with the definition there, as it is
>> very Britain / central European (German) centric. "Baguettes" or "decorated
>> cakes" are particular kind of baked goods that won't be found all around
>> the world in bakeries.
>>
>> The main purpose of a bakery is to make and sell bread.
>> Whether they also sell pizza, or what kind of bread they sell, whether
>> they also sell sweets, coca cola, milk, flowers, sunglasses or olive oil is
>> secondary and should not (IMHO) appear in the main definition.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martin
>>

> And I would say the OSM wiki definition is wrong (and I tried to change
> it) and your experience is regional. I would tag a place selling only
> "daily" bread a "bread store" or "bread bakery" on first thought (just like
> the shops here refer to themselves in name and ads). In my region, a bakery
> foremost sells cakes, pastries, and/or specialty (dessert) breads, more
> often than not having no "daily" bread at all. If they mainly sell bread,
> "bread" is in the shop name to avoid confusion with what the general
> population thinks a bakery is.
> The country/region disagreements are why I threw up my hands on the
> proposal I created, knowing there was no agreement to be reached beyond the
> status quo definition. Despite citing current U.S. and British government,
> trade, business directory, and dictionary definitions baking a change,
> there were many that stuck with definitions that were more used in the
> first half of the twentieth century than now in England and the U.S..
> During the debates it also became apparent a number of (but not all) web
> language translators also make the same mistake, using past rather than
> contemporary usages of some words.
> This terminology problem is the main reason I stopped recommending OSM to
> non-technical relatives and friends. I knew they would use current U.S.
> assumptions on what the terminology of the map meant and would be misled. I
> knew they would not use a map that, in their eyes, was inaccurate and
> sometimes flat out wrong. They are much better off using Google maps or
> Bing to find shops and services. This is also one of a few reasons why I
> largely stopped contributing to OSM: why pursue a "scholarly" effort that
> [...]

The terminology issue would be solved by having an American language
interface like there's French, German and English interfaces.

Bakery is goods cooked in an oven, AFAIK. Subtags should explain what in
each case is to be expected there.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>